On Father’s Day, I’ve decided to cook lunch for my father and my family as I do not want my father to be too tired and I wished to do something for him on this special day.
On the day itself, I cooked 2 dishes and 1 soup. Although I’ve copied the recipes from the Day Day Cook with slight changes to the ingredients list, I still made changes to the recipes during cooking as the recipes were too difficult for me to follow through.
The dishes I’ve prepared were Fried Egg with Asparagus, Sweet Potato Tofu Patty and Cabbage Enoki Mushroom with Pork Balls Soup.
Below are the recipes I’ve used and changed. I couldn’t share the soup recipe as I’ve already forgotten the steps as it’s a last minute improvised dish.
Sweet Potato Tofu Patty
- 1 pack firm tofu
- ~200 g sweet potato
- ~20 g bread crumbs
- ~3 tbsp mayonaise
- 1 tsp pesto sauce
- Black pepper
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into small pieces.
- Steam the sweet potato until soft, drain off the excess liquid and transfer to a bowl.
- Mix the mayonnaise and pesto sauce and add to the sweet potato. (Although the original recipe added the sauce after the tofu and seasoning are added.)
- Drain the tofu by putting it between 2 pieces of napkin. (Don’t do this especially if the napkin is coloured as the colour will stain the tofu. Use 2 pieces of cloth will be best.)
- Add the tofu, bread crumbs, mayonnaise and pesto sauce, salt and pepper to the sweet potato. Mix well.
- Place a piece of Aluminium foil on the frying pan of an air fryer. Form the mixture into patties and put into an air fryer to fry for 12 minutes at 180oC. (Remember to spread ~1 tsp of olive oil on the foil to prevent the patties from sticking onto the foil. Mine still stick even though I’ve spread the oil so I’m not sure what’s the real problem too.)
- Fry till slightly browned. (Original recipe that doesn’t use air fryer states that it should be fried till golden brown.)
Fried Egg with Asparagus
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- ~1/2 tbsp sugar (Original recipes asks for 1 tbsp but you may change according to your liking.)
- 1 tsp potato starch
- ~50 ml water
- Remove the ends (roots) of the asparagus if yours are not already removed.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add pepper and salt.
- Spread some olive oil to just cover the base of the baking pan of an air fryer.
- Pour the beaten eggs to just cover the base of the pan and fry at 5 minutes. If the egg is lightly browned, continue to fry until the light brown colour you desire. (Mine turns out to be too thick so I changed the original recipe as follows.)
- Change the baking pan to a frying pan. Now place a piece of Aluminium foil on the frying pan and spread some olive oil on it.
- Place the asparagus onto the foil. Add salt and pepper and fry the asparagus for 5 minutes at 180oC. (Different air fryers may vary, so you must use your own judgement too.)
- Place the cooked asparagus on top of the eggs.
- Mix the soy sauce, Mirin, sugar, cornstarch and half the amount of water, then add the remaining water. (The original recipe states that we should add the cornstarch to half the amount of water first, set aside. Mix the soy sauce, Mirin, sugar and remaining water to a pot and bring to a boil before adding the cornstarch mixture.)
- Pour the mixture in Step 8 into a pot and bring to a boil. Boil until it thickens to a consistency you desire.
- Pour the sauce over the asparagus and fried eggs.
Hope that these recipes will be useful.